Changing Lives

Changing Lives
Ready for a Change?

Friday, February 15, 2013

How to make almond milk - Blog - Dietary Info - CanIEatHere.com

How to make almond milk - Blog - Dietary Info - CanIEatHere.com

How to make almond milk

Monday, 21 January 2013
Are you feeling adventurous? Do you want to make your own almond milk? This is great to make and not as difficult as I thought it would be. This is a great recipe for those of you who enjoy almond milk because you're looking to eat clean, you have allergies, are a vegan, avoid dairy, or are lactose intolerant. Why am I making it? Honestly? To see if I can! When introducing milk to my 12 month old daughter, and it didn't go well. I looked into store bought organic almond milk, and was a little shocked when I read the label. So many extra, unnecessary, and even a few questionable ingredients. So I decided to make my own. 



















What you need:  Organic raw almonds (it's okay if they're not organic, I just prefer to use organic everything), water, a blender, and a sieve. I also used my spoonula (spoon/spatula highbred). 
Step 1: Soak your almonds in cold water for 6-24 hours. I know this sounds like a wide range of time, but 6 hours is the bare minimum and from what I've read 24 hours is the suggested maximum. You want your almonds to look plump. I put mine in a glass Pyrex container with a lid and let them soak.
 
















Step 2: When almonds are ready, drain the water. In a full sized blender you will add almonds and water. For every 1 cup of almonds, you need 2-3 cups of water, depending on your desired creaminess. I like mine to be creamy, so I used 2 cups of water for every cup of almonds. (You can always add more water if it's too creamy, but if it's too watery, you can't make it thicker. Blend until water looks white and frothy. 


























Step 3. Place the sieve over your pitcher. Slowly pour the almond/water mixture into the sieve. Stopping to press with spoonula or spatula and then scraping out the pulp/paste into a container for future use. Continue pouring and repeat this process until you have used all of the mixture from the blender. Depending on how much you plan to make, you may have to blend a new batch. I used 16 ounces of organic raw almonds and had to do this 3 times. 
Step 4: Once you've separated the almond milk from the almond pulp/paste, you may want to run the liquid through the sieve one more time to remove any remaining bits. 
Step 5: Chill and enjoy!
Notes: This will only keep for 3-4 days before "turning". I used a small sieve which made the process take a little longer than it would have if I had used a bigger one. This sounds a lot harder than it was. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to make this. I had some great tips on flavoring the almond milk. You can use vanilla, maple, agave, or anything you'd like if you want to make the milk a little sweeter or flavored. You can use the almond pulp in cookies, muffins, oatmeal, etc. I'll let you know what I use mine in! For those of you who have made this before, what did you use your pulp for? Any great recipes??  Happy drinking! 

-Sarah

1 comment:

  1. It was a commendable post. Thank you so much for sharing the same. http://www.canieathere.com/

    ReplyDelete